Tuesday 30 October 2007

Sculpting Digital Characters with Cesar Dacol Jr

So I signed up to this online course: ZBrush - Sculpting Digital Characters with Cesar Dacol Jr, which starts in November 2007. For more information, see: http://workshops.cgsociety.org/courses/000055/. This should be a great help in getting to grips with the nuances of digital character creation. I will post my results here in time.

I have not yet returned to the minotaur to retopologize it, I knew it would be a thankless and slow operation and I have shyed from it. When learning things the hard way (blindly) it takes time to learn each step, much research is needed and many of the terms mentioned at first seem alien and require further investigation. Since installing ZBrush a few weeks ago, my progress has kept me interested and I find myself dwelling on this digital approach constantly. In the studio working with traditional materials, I begin dwelling on the pro's and cons of the two sculpting processes and the possibilities of bringing these together to form a new workflow.

I have also played with MudBox, which seems a solid and intuitive program, my first impressions was that the sculpting material 'felt' more like a clay, wetter and easy to texture. Some time will be spent using MudBox in the future when I get these initial projects behind me.

I'll post some more pictures soon, and begin to gather my thoughts on the differences between the two sculpting medium.

No comments: