Friday 28 December 2007

Sculpting Digital Characters - Week 04: Retopology

Week Four: Refining your sculpture... retopology
Hands and feet explored, why we should sculpt these first
Wrinkles, subcutaneous... what's that and why should we pay attention to it
Compression and how it affects what we do
Gravity why it's important
Stencils... Converting an alpha into a stencil
Retopology. How do we create a base mesh that will work for animation and production?
What is good topology?
Projecting details
Assignment: Refine character Sculpt base you've created and retopologize

2 comments:

Csetti said...

Hi!

I just came across your blog and I have to say its fantastic to see another traditional sculptor learning Zbrush. I'm learning it right now coming from a traditional sculpting background so you posts are very helpful!

Thank you! :)

Wayne Taylor said...

Hey there Claudio,

Good to hear from you, glad you find some help from my ramblings.

I have just checked out your blog too.. excellent stuff you have been doing.

I am not classically trained as you are, all self taught, which can be very frustrating not having someone to mentor you. The work you have been doing is far better in subject matter to the sculpting I have done at work over the years, which was mostly cartoon based, for the gift market.

I am a complete novice to CG but have fell in love with ZBrush, and it has been quite a struggle to take in all the complexities of what seems like an alien language!

The ZBrush course I am doing is helping a great deal and I plan to filter what I have learned into my blog in time - I have just become freelance and time is something I have very little of.

If you require any assistance I can try and answer any questions you may have.

all the best, and happy new year

Wayne